Ever since I graduated from university, my friends and I have started a tradition - a gathering at my place on the 9th of August, National Day. Year after year we do the same things, order in some food, watch the parade on the telly together, and view the fireworks finale from my window (it's a blast! ... all pun intended). And while all of that has proved for a great night filled with laughter and catching up, I thought this year we could have just a little bit more fun.. with fruits and alcohol. I scoured the interwebs and have put together a few of my favourite recipes and thought I'd share them with everyone! (Because sharing is caring, and all the more so when alcohol is involved teehee). Think boozy popsicles, alcohol infused fruit, and good ole cocktails, here we go!
1) Blueberry-Rosé Lemonade Ice Pops
1 cup of sweet Rosé wine
2 cups of lemonade
1/3 cup of blueberries
1) Combine Rosé wine and lemonade into a liquid measuring cup (or any jar/bottle actually) that has a spout.
2) Divide blueberries evenly into 10 3-ounce popsicle moulds or 8 4-ounce popsicle moulds. (I've checked and an ounce would be 29.57ml!) Pour the lemonade-Rosé mixture into the moulds and insert the popsicle sticks. Freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight for better results.
P/S As the blueberries will float to the top of your popsicle moulds in the liquid, freeze and place the blueberries in intervals to achieve an evenly distributed effect for the fruit.
2) Alcohol-Infused Watermelon
A whole watermelon
Any alcohol of choice
1) Take the cap of your alcohol bottle and make a circular marking on your watermelon with it.
2) Cut a hole on your watermelon based off the marking and dig some watermelon out.
3) Invert your bottle into the hole you made and squeeze it in till it holds it's weight.
4) Leave in the fridge till alcohol is fully absorbed by the watermelon. Slice it and serve as you would any regular watermelon! :)
P/S Feel free to combine different alcohols into one watermelon but do note to transfer your alcohol into smaller bottles, there's a limit to how much the watermelon can absorb too!
3) Pineapple Coolers
4 cups of pineapple chunks, chilled
1 1/2 cups of ice
1/4 cup of lime juice
1/4 cup of coconut milk
1/3 cup of rum
1) Blend all ingredients together until smooth
2) Garnish with a pineapple or lime slice or both, and add a sprig of mint too.
P/S Add some syrup for a sweeter drink!
And that's my roundup of really simple fruit and alcohol hacks that anyone can do! If you're in the party mood and want to go all out, take a look at the pins on our Pinterest for more recipes and ideas!
Let me know how it goes in the comments below, here's to a tipsy fruity National Day under the Singapore sun!