Here's the thing about sales: you've got to be fast and then latch on to that amazing find as if it's the last pair of Charlotte Olympia Dolly slingbacks in the world. And you've got to have your hands free. Both. Hands. Free.
To help you make the most out of this sale period, we've come up with five tips for all you bargain hunters:
1. Before hitting the shops, visit www.greatsingaporesale.com.sg to check out which malls and stores are having special promotions. The site also lists which credit cards are offering special deals during GSS so you can more bang for your buck.
Dolce & Gabbana leopard print sling bag (SGD 187), Louis Vuitton Musette salsa messenger (SGD 750), Chanel cerf executive tote bag (SGD 3143), Chanel quilt jersey bag (SGD 2333), Chanel quilt belt bag (SGD 1284).
2. Make friends with the sales assistants from your favourite luxury brands. Some do put up selected items on sale but they do it sporadically throughout the sale period. But, sorry, Chanel, Hermes and Louis Vuitton do not participate in GSS. Then again, if you want good deals on these brands, you know where to go (and by that we mean THE FIFTHCOLLECTION, of course!).
3. To have a pleasant and smooth changing room experience, wear clothes that you can easily remove and put back on. Otherwise, go for body-hugging pieces so you can try out clothes without having to deal with snaking queues outside the changing room. Go with bags that have slings so you can sling them across your body. You need your hands free. 'nuff said.
4. The best time to hit the sales is during off-peak periods on weekdays. Or go on first thing in the morning on weekends to avoid crowds. Trust us, sales bring out the worst in people.
5. Plan your purchases and stick to your budget to avoid overspending. Best way to deal with this? Pay everything in cash. When the money's gone, you know it's time to go.